Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Editing in Aiki is fun - editing url widget lists

Yes. It is. It's so fun when you try to do something useful and find out, "hey! it actually has to stay the way it was!" Whoot!

I was trying to make my job easier by sorting the urls inside Aiki admin interface. That url list is getting bloated by the day. So I decided to make it easier on everyone, and sort it according to alphabetical. I love doing things automatically so I copied the list into Openoffice and pasted it in. It came out in one line, in one cell, so I:
  • converted it to columns (Data > Text to columns, set delimiter to "|")
  • selected the entire ROW (click on the number on the left),
  • copied the row
  • paste special-ed it (with transpose ticked)
Viola! A list that can now be sorted automatically.
  • Then put the pipeline character ("|" - Has to be in there to tell AIKI where each individual url ends) in Notepad++ by coping the spreadsheet list to NP and doing a find and replace end of line character with the pipeline.
I copied the then-sorted-to-alphabetical list back into Aiki, only to find that the URL widget list on the left side of the interface automatically updates BASED ON THE FIRST ENTRY in the url FIELD!

So my choices are  (for now),
  1. stick with a hugely bloated, correctly sorted and easy to find url list, with random pages appearing everywhere in the URL LIST ADMIN widget, or    
  2. leave the hard-to-find-stuff hugely bloated url list as it is, so that you can correctly find the pages based on their url in the URL LIST admin widget.
I went with option 3. alphabetically sort the list, and put "homepage" at the front of the list (which of course, makes it non-sorted again, but at least I get the best of both worlds...)

Some days...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment